As a homeowner, you always want to ensure that your property is well-maintained. However, what happens when you are suddenly unable to occupy your home for an extended period of time? What should you do to ensure that it stays in good condition? In this blog post, we will explore what can happen when a house sits empty and some tips on how to prevent damage.
If your home is unoccupied, it is an easy target for burglars. They know that there is a good chance that no one will be home to catch them in the act. This can lead to serious damage to your property and possessions. In some cases, they will even strip the copper wiring from your home, which can be costly to repair.
Table of Contents
•How Long Can A House Stay Empty
•House Unoccupied Problems
•Why Do Empty Houses Deteriorate
•What To Do When Leaving House Unoccupied
•Should Water Be Turned Off In Empty House
•Selling An Empty House
•Are Empty Houses Harder To Sell
•Pros And Cons Of Selling An Empty House
➥Why Should You Sell Your House To Colorado Cash Buyers
How Long Can A House Stay Empty?
The answer to this question depends on a number of factors. For example, if you plan on being away for less than a month, it is generally safe to leave your home unoccupied.
However, if you will be gone for an extended period of time (i.e. several months or more), it is important to take some precautions to protect your property.
House Unoccupied Problems
There are a number of consequences that can come with an unoccupied home.
- Vandalism and burglaries are more common.
- Your home is at a higher risk for fire damage.
- Squatters may move in, which can be difficult to remove.
- Pest infestations.
- The condition of your home may deteriorate, leading to expensive repairs.
Why Do Empty Houses Deteriorate?
Once a house is unoccupied, it becomes susceptible to all sorts of problems. Here are some of the most common issues that can arise:
1. Pests: Mice, rats, and other pests will move in if they find an easy food source. They can also cause damage to your home as they try to nest.
2. Water damage: Leaks and flooding can occur more easily in an empty house because there is no one around to spot the problem and take action.
3. Mold and mildew: These growths thrive in damp, dark places. If your home has any water leaks, they could lead to mold and mildew problems.
4. Structural damage: Unoccupied houses are more likely to experience problems with the foundation, roofs, and walls. This is due to the fact that there is no one around to regularly inspect and maintain the property.
5. Vandalism: An empty house is an easy target for vandals. They may break windows, spray graffiti, or damage the landscaping.
What To Do When Leaving House Unoccupied?
If you must leave your house unoccupied for an extended period of time, there are some steps you can take to help protect it.
1. Let your neighbors know you’ll be gone: They can keep an eye on the property and report any suspicious activity to the police.
2. Stop your mail and newspaper delivery: An overflowing mailbox is a telltale sign that no one is home.
3. Put lights on timers: This will make it appear as though someone is home even when you’re not.
4. Invest in a security system: This will deter burglars and give you peace of mind while you’re away.
5. Check on the property regularly: If possible, have someone check on your house every so often to make sure everything is in order.
By taking these precautions, you can help safeguard your property while you’re away.
Should Water Be Turned Off In Empty House?
It is generally advisable to turn off the water in your home if you will be away for an extended period of time. This will help prevent any water damage that may occur. Water may also be turned off at the main water shut-off valve.
However, it is not necessary to turn off the electricity to your home when you leave it unoccupied. But you may want to consider turning off any unnecessary appliances or electronics to help save on your energy bill. You should also unplug all electrical appliances and gadgets this will help prevent any fires that could start from faulty wiring.
Selling An Empty House
If you’re thinking about selling your home, you may want to consider doing so while it is still occupied. It can also be more difficult to show an empty house to potential buyers. It’s often easier for buyers to envision themselves living in a home when it is furnished.
If you do decide to sell your home while it is unoccupied, there are some steps you can take to make it more appealing to buyers.
1. Make sure the house is clean and tidy: This will give the impression that the home has been well-cared for.
2. Remove all personal items: Buyers should be able to see themselves living in the house, so it’s important to remove any personal items such as family photos, heirlooms, and knick-knacks.
3. Stage the house: Staging can make a big difference when selling an empty house. By rearranging the furniture and adding some homey touches, you can make the house more inviting.
By taking these steps, you can increase your chances of selling your home quickly and for a good price.
Are Empty Houses Harder To Sell?
An empty house can be more difficult to sell because it gives the impression that there is something wrong with the property. In addition, potential buyers may be concerned about the condition of the property. Because empty houses are more susceptible to water damage, mold, and structural problems. Therefore it is important to make sure your home is in good condition before putting it on the market.
Pros And Cons Of Selling An Empty House
There are both pros and cons to selling an empty house.
Some of the pros include:
- You won’t have to worry about the condition of the property.
- It can be easier to show potential buyers the true potential of the home without furniture in the way.
- You may be able to sell your home for a higher price since buyers will be able to visualize their own belongings in the space.
Some of the cons include:
- The property may appear to be in poor condition without any furnishings.
- It can be more difficult to stage an empty house in a way that is appealing to buyers.
- You may have a harder time finding a buyer who is willing to purchase an empty house.
Why Should You Sell Your House To Colorado Cash Buyers?
An empty house can be a liability. If you’re not careful, it can cost you money and leave your property vulnerable to damage. Colorado Cash Buyers buys houses as-is means you don’t have to make any repairs and renovations. We will also take care of the closing costs. So, if you’re thinking about selling your home, give us a call today! We’d be happy to make you an offer!