If you’re a homeowner who’s thinking about selling your house, you may be wondering whether or not it’s worth the hassle to stage it and fill it with furniture and decor. After all, an empty house is easier to show and it will probably sell faster than one that’s cluttered with belongings.
But there are some drawbacks to selling an empty house that you need to consider before making a decision. Here are the pros and cons of selling an empty house.
Empty House Meaning
Empty House is a term that is used to describe a property that is no longer occupied by its owner. They can be found in many different situations, such as when the owner has died, when the owner has moved to a new location, or when the owner has been evicted from the property.
Empty houses can also be created when a property is foreclosed upon or when it is abandoned. They can become problem properties if they are not properly maintained, as they can attract squatters, vandals, and other nuisances. Empty houses can also bring down the value of neighboring properties. As a result, it is important for those who own empty houses to take steps to secure and maintain their property.
Selling An Empty House
Selling an empty house can be a challenge. Without furniture or other personal belongings to give the space character, it can be difficult to make potential buyers feel at home.
Additionally, an empty house can appear smaller and less inviting than a furnished one. However, there are some strategies that can help sellers make the most of their empty houses.
- You won’t have to worry about cleaning and decluttering. If you sell your house while it’s still full of your belongings, you’ll need to do a deep clean and declutter before putting it on the market. This can be time-consuming and expensive if you hire profession cleaners. But if you sell an empty house, you won’t have to worry about this at all.
- It will be easier to show. When buyers come to see your house, they’ll be able to picture themselves living there more easily if it’s empty. It can be hard for buyers to imagine what a space would look like if it’s full of someone else’s furniture.
- You may get a higher price. Since an empty house is easier to show and usually sells faster, you may be able to get a higher price for it than you would if it were still full of your belongings.
- You may have trouble getting insurance.Many insurance companies won’t insure an empty house because it’s more likely to be vandalized or damaged. This means you’ll have to pay for any repairs out of your own pocket if something happens.
- It may take longer to sell.While an empty house may sell faster than a cluttered one, it can still take months or even years to find a buyer. If you’re in a hurry to sell, this may not be the best option for you.
- You may need to do some work before putting it on the market.An empty house can look cold and unwelcoming, so you may need to do some work to make it more appealing to buyers. This could include painting the walls, installing new flooring, or even just adding some simple decor.
Selling An Empty House Tips
Here are a few tips for selling an empty house:
- Rent temporary furniture. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of putting your furniture in storage, consider renting some temporary furniture from a company like CORT Furniture Rental. This way, potential buyers can get a sense of the layout and flow of the space, without being distracted by your personal belongings.
- Consider staging. Staging is when you bring in professional decorators to (you guessed it!) stage your home for sale. This usually involves renting furniture and making minor changes to things like paint color and window treatments. The goal is to make your home look its best so that potential buyers can see themselves living there.
- Get rid of clutter. Even if you don’t stage or rent furniture, it’s important to make sure your home is free of clutter before showings begin. This means getting rid of things like family photos, knick-knacks, and personal mementos. You want buyers to be able to imagine their own belongings in the space, not be distracted by yours.
- Keep it clean. An empty house is the perfect opportunity to really deep clean your home from top to bottom. This includes things like shampooing carpets, washing walls, and cleaning out cabinets and closets. The cleaner your home is, the more appealing it will be to potential buyers.
Is It Easier To Sell An Empty House?
Is it easier to sell an empty house? Real estate agents say it depends on the market. In a hot market, an empty house will usually sell faster than a furnished one because there are more buyers looking for houses and fewer houses available.
In a slower market, an empty house may sit on the market longer because potential buyers can’t visualise what the house would look like with furniture. Additionally, potential buyers may be put off by an empty house because they think the seller is desperate to sell.
Soft Staging Empty House
Soft staging is a new trend in home selling that is quickly gaining popularity. The process involves placing furniture and other items in an empty house to help give prospective buyers a better sense of the space.
While traditional staging typically requires the house to be completely empty, soft staging allows for a more personal touch. In addition to furniture, soft staging may also include art, rugs, and other home decor items. The benefits of soft staging are numerous. It can help make a house feel more inviting, making it more likely to sell.
It can also help prospective buyers to visualize the potential of the space. For sellers, soft staging is often more cost-effective than traditional staging, as it does not require the rental or purchase of furniture. Soft staging is an innovative way to sell a house, and its popularity is sure to continue to grow.
Selling A House In Colorado
Empty houses can present a number of challenges, both for the owner and for the neighborhood. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to sell an empty house, reach out to us at Colorado Cash Buyers. We specialize in buying properties as-is, so you don’t have to worry about making any repairs or cosmetic changes. We will give you a fair cash offer for your property, and we can close on the sale quickly – usually within just a few days. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can help you!